The Story of William Welch and Rancho Las Juntas
Irishman William Welch risked life and liberty on a dark night in 1821 when he "jumped ship" in Bodega Bay. He was 28 years old and had little to lose as an indentured sailor on the British ship, Lady Blackwood. The captain of the ship came to trade with the Russians at Fort Ross, and Welch and the ship's carpenter, Joseph Lawrence, set off to seek their fortune. They hitched a ride by launch to San Francisco and then to Los Angeles, where Lawrence stayed. Welch came back North and befriended the Spanish settlers at Mission Santa Clara, where they baptized him at Mission Santa Clara as Julian Willis. He further solidified the Spanish's trust of him by joining the army and marrying into a prominent Spanish family of the DeAnza party, with Maria Antonia Galindo (her brother, Francisco Galindo, co-founded Concord). At Pueblo San Jose, Welch started on a herd of cattle, but couldn't find his own rancho. Welch applied for a tract of land by Mount Diablo, and received permission from the district's alcalde, Salvio Pacheco. However, Pacheco didn't realize it was the same land he had applied for, and he angrily went to the California governor to eject Welch from his land. Welch complied and Ignacio Martinez allowed him to move his cattle to his Rancho El Pinole. In between the Pacheco and Martinez ranchos was a tract of land that lay between Alhambra and Walnut Creek called Las Juntas (translates as the "joining" of the creeks). However, the Native Americans opposed the occupation, and Welch sent his son to build an adobe to protect the cattle. Finally, after years of struggle, William Welch was granted the majestic Rancho Las Juntas* in 1844.
We believe this wine incorporates the same determination and bold spirit of William Welch, and it is with great pride that we, his family, present it to you.
* Rancho Las Juntas consisted of 13,324 acres in what is present-day North Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Pacheco, and South Martinez